Friday, August 26, 2011

Ace of Spades: Sanjaya Shrestha, the pop king!!



“You might be talking to the future Prime Minister of Nepal…” This is what he said when for the first time we encountered at Arian Media at Bhagwati Bahal, Kathmandu. He’s done background in nearly 80 movies and his iconic song Maya Meri Maya is what most of the younger singers grew up with playing on guitar. That’s right people he’s none other than our very own pop icon Sanjaya Shrestha we’re talking about. He’s the one who’ve composed the signature tune for NTC and UTL

Greetings and thank you for your time.
Namaste… The pleasure is all mine.

We haven’t heard from you lately. What’s keeping you busy these days?
Well, currently I’m working for my next album. I’m a regular facebook user and this very question has been asked by fans time and again. Almost 4 songs have already been composed. The name is still to be confirmed and hopefully, the album would be out soon. I’m dedicating this album solely to my fans who expect my songs or album. This is as a part of continuity of my musical journey that I’m dedicating my fans. It’s my responsibility to do an album for my fans who’ve been giving me an identity as a singer. I’ve tried to keep some rock number out of which Jay Desh Mero Desh is a rock patriotic number where you can hear choir by 25 individuals as well.
People you know you from the song Maya Meri Maya. How did it come?
Maya Meri Maya is a song that is composed with soft minor chord progression and plucking in guitar which carries simple sentiments. I realized that people acknowledge simplicity and it’s not necessary to include heavy literature in a song to make it meaningful. The song taught me that. The song is more like a national anthem to me. Everywhere I go, people want me to sing this song coz this songs carries my identity and I feel so happy to sing this song every time. The main thing is that the emotions of a song should be outstanding. Till date, I’ve six albums out i.e.  Naya Moad, Ghumda Ghumdai, Tadha Na Jaideu Timi, Euta Gaun Thiyo, Jau Timi Jau and Timi Bina. But still, the charm hasn’t gone and this song has been my signature song so far. Other songs like Eghara Bara Terah, Tadha Na Jaideu Timi, Euta Gaun Thiyo, Jau Timi Jau, Musu Musu Haasi Deu and lot more have been my identity. Still, composing and singing a song like Maya Meri Maya has been a challenge for me. I used to listen the songs of respected Om Bikram Bista Dai, Scorpions and Eagles and the simplicity of their simplicity, song and/or melody influenced much.
You said I might be talking to a future Prime Minister of Nepal. Please elaborate us.
The country is deeply affected by the current political scenario that has been ruining the lives of people around. Such things have touched me badly and I grew a rebellion nature within myself. In fact, every individual has such rebellion factor within themselves but some are scared to express. I am a straight and direct person. I have my devotion in King and my moral support and faith lays in Rastriya Prajatantra Party (Ra. Pra. Pa). May be I might officially join the political party and work actively for the nation. The nation needs peace and prosperity and it’s we, the people, who have to act the country from worsening. All the 601 members should be jailed and the country should be declared as the Hindu Kingdom restoring the King. An army ruled government should be formed and establishes peace and system for the next 10 years.
There’s no financial return in music. Still you came in music industry. Why?
I didn’t come to the music industry seeking the financial breakthrough. Before coming to the music industry, I had a travel and tour business and I was doing well. I used to earn dollars and money was not a reason for me to come in music. Instead, I sold the business to come into music. I almost ran the business for 12 years. I used to do the pampleting of my albums along with my brother myself. My passion for music dragged me to it. My career wasn’t just an easy ride. Those were the time when Modern Music was dominant in the country but still, people appreciated and loved my work. Pop music was in the evolving state. The industry gained the commercial value from the year 1992. Almost 80 percent Indian music market was displaced by the music of our fellow musicians. The main thing that I earned being in music was respect, love and appreciation. Those were the golden era in music. The level of music was way too much higher from todays. 

What are the flaws in today’s music scenario?
Music industry has changed dramatically over the years. These days music companies, RJ’s and VJ’s are making money. An artist is just a mere tool for their business. Almost 80% of the songs have been killed and raped in the name of remix. Artist have killed the value of music singing in cheap Mo:Mo festivals and Street Shows. Also, the Medias have been diseased with politics. The videos made by a TV channel wouldn’t get enough airplay on other TV channels. What I believe is that privileges are not the part of Art. However, power and money counts these days in the media market. Here, everybody salutes the rising sun and other is neglected. A strong unit to filter music should be started. Prior to this, Radio Nepal was only the unit to run Voice Test to preserve the quality in music. Now, if you have power and money, every individual can be a singer. This hampered the eligible musicians which is a shameful thing. Medias are promoting the wrong person rather than the talented and gifted one. There are hundreds of recording studios in corners of valley who do recording of the ineligible singers. Though there are laws, no one is punished by law even though they are doing criminal activities in music. I was active in music till 2000. The new artists took music easily and for granted. The music industry slowly and steadily started to degrade. To earn fame is very hard and to maintain the given fame is even harder but the artists today don’t understand. They are just a part of such whim. Still, I’m very optimistic that after peace prevails in the country, the industry shall groom again. For instance, Rajesh Payal Rai is far better than Prasant Tamang but the audience even motivates such. There are lots of talented singers, but the organizers keep on giving priorities to the Indian singers no matter how low they are in standard comparatively with the Nepali singers in quality. They don’t appreciate and encourage the fellow musicians.
Who, according to you, are the most eligible artist of today’s context?
For me it’s Shiva Pariyaar, Sugam Pokharel, Hemanta Rana, Anju Panta, Sheetal Shiwani Moktan just to name some. I might have missed some but there are handful singers who’ve been doing a marvelous job. 
Sanjay Shrestha

There is always another side of an artist. What are yours?
Well, ever since I was a child, I used to have interest in art. Besides music, I love to do paintings. But I think I’m best in Charcoal Art. I have plenty of it and someday, I might arrange an exhibition of my art. This has been my hidden talent so far.
How hard is it to maintain status as a celebrity?
For me, I don’t think myself as a celebrity. I go out with my kids and my family to watch movies. I stop by at local Pani Puri stalls and enjoy it with my family. Fans come to me and talk to me. What I mean to say is that my fans gave me respect and recognition as an artist and I feel happy to interact with them. I’m an easy person on that. To some extent we should maintain status in our profession so that the younger fellow musician could follow us to keep the music scenario professional and biasness free. Show off is the negative factor in an artist’s personality.
What are your favorite time pass?
I love going out with my family as I said. Plus, body building is another passion. And I love to watch Katrina Kaif’s movies. I spent very less or no time at all in kitchen. I can boil water and tea (laughs). I love the typical dishes like daal, bhat, Maasu and Newari items. I am a Newar from Madhesh so the eating habit is somehow different than the typical Newar community of the valley.
Tell us about Arian media.
Well, I’ve been running Arian Media for the past 12 years. We make all sorts of TV and FM commercials. Till date, we’ve successfully ventured with companies like NTC, UTL, Wai Wai, Choco Fun, 2 PM Noodles just to name some. We did make the signature tunes for NTC and UTL. Working here is another part of my struggle. Every day when you wake up, a new door opens for your struggle to survive and Arian Media is just the same. 

What would be your reaction on the below mentioned names?
Om Bikram Bista: He’s a respected musician and a respected elder brother to me.
Pushpa Kamal Dahal: I hate Pushpa Kamal Dahal.
King Birendra: He was like a god.

Finally, and ending note…
I’d like to thank MuzBuzz Monthly Magazine. I think we need more persons like Anna Hazare who’s on severe hunger strike for abolishing corruption in India. The leaders here should learn lessons from him. Also, everyone should love and appreciate music of their fellow nation and peace and prosperity should be one unified goal of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment